[xiphos-devel] Windows build: successful

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 13:52:42 MST 2020

On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 3:13 PM Karl Kleinpaste <karl at kleinpaste.org> wrote:

> I wanted to post something outside the previous thread on building for
> Windows, in case folks had started ignoring that one.
>
> Boy, ya mention a problem in need of attention, ya get some folks
> motivated, and stuff just happens.
>
> *HUGE THANKS to Dom and Greg* for their efforts. I thought I was in for a
> lot of grief and pain, trying to finish resurrecting the Windows build. But
> as of the most recent merge, we have a fully-automated Xiphos build for
> win32/64, driven by a Fedora30 container. All you need is to have podman
> installed, plus a directory containing xiphos and biblesync source
> directories, from which you issue this command (courtesy of Dom).
>
> podman run -it -v .:/source fedora:30
> /source/xiphos/win32/xc-xiphos-win.sh -win32 -win64 -b=/source/biblesync

Worth noting that this also works with Docker. Literally just replace the
"podman" with "docker" in the above command and the results are identical.
That's how builds are being done automatically upstream, so we know it
works, too.

The same script should be usable by anyone on a Fedora 30 machine/vm as
well. I know Windows people are much more likely to have access to VMs than
to Docker/Podman container environments so, with the same conditions as
Karl mentions (a vm with Xiphos and Biblesync source checked out), call the
xiphos/win32/xc-xiphos-win.sh script with the path to biblesync source
updated appropriately.

> It literally doesn't get easier than a single command to go from bare
> source tree to completely constructed installers. You can add "--rm" after
> "run" if you want to dispose of the container afterward.
>
> At the moment, Xiphos is ahead of Sword in terms of certain features, one
> of which will cause you annoyance in Bibles with pre-book and -chapter
> material, including ESV (if you still have it) and NASB. If you want to do
> any experimenting and building, you should locally revert this change in
> your tree prior to building:
>
> https://github.com/crosswire/xiphos/commit/74c88b94dc840d2e72d6a4ac974c0b3c56c42647.diff
> If you're building for Linux, then you should build your own Sword, the
> latest of which has the update addressed by this change and you don't need
> to revert.
>
> I haven't yet actually taken the result to a Windows machine, but under
> Wine it operates just fine as it always has.

If anyone out there has a Windows machine but doesn't have the ability to
build it themselves, the benefit of having the builds be automated is that
you can get the build artifacts from the CI builds.

1) Go to this URL: https://github.com/crosswire/xiphos/actions
2) Click on the build you want to test there (if you're looking to test
someone's latest PR or other request)
3) Click on the link under artifacts called "packages"
4) Open the zip file and choose the installer you want to test

"Nightly" (e.g. per commit) builds of RPMs are coming in the near future,
as well.

--Greg