[xiphos-devel] Windows build: successful

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Sat Apr 25 13:13:31 MST 2020

I wanted to post something outside the previous thread on building for
Windows, in case folks had started ignoring that one.

Boy, ya mention a problem in need of attention, ya get some folks
motivated, and stuff just happens.

*HUGE THANKS to Dom and Greg* for their efforts. I thought I was in for
a lot of grief and pain, trying to finish resurrecting the Windows
build. But as of the most recent merge, we have a fully-automated Xiphos
build for win32/64, driven by a Fedora30 container. All you need is to
have podmaninstalled, plus a directory containing xiphos and biblesync
source directories, from which you issue this command (courtesy of Dom).

podman run -it -v .:/source fedora:30
/source/xiphos/win32/xc-xiphos-win.sh -win32 -win64 -b=/source/biblesync

It literally doesn't get easier than a single command to go from bare
source tree to completely constructed installers. You can add "--rm"
after "run" if you want to dispose of the container afterward.

At the moment, Xiphos is ahead of Sword in terms of certain features,
one of which will cause you annoyance in Bibles with pre-book and
-chapter material, including ESV (if you still have it) and NASB. If you
want to do any experimenting and building, you should locally revert
this change in your tree prior to building:
https://github.com/crosswire/xiphos/commit/74c88b94dc840d2e72d6a4ac974c0b3c56c42647.diff
If you're building for Linux, then you should build your own Sword, the
latest of which has the update addressed by this change and you don't
need to revert.

I haven't yet actually taken the result to a Windows machine, but under
Wine it operates just fine as it always has.