[xiphos-devel] Note

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Tue Sep 20 03:43:09 MST 2016

On 09/19/2016 05:39 PM, Greg Hellings wrote:
> The recommended solution is to move to the webkit2 API

Yes, there was discussion of this in #xiphos a week or so ago, though
with regard to Ubuntu.

The WK2 configuration builds, runs without crashing...and looks like
total crap. I don't know what they did to it in the last year but basic
operations that have been in place for something like 10 years now
render a main window that is crippled.  Chris Bayliss says it's not WK2
itself but our packing of GTK widgets -- I dunno, it seems to me that
Everything Worked Just Fine for an indecently long time, considering
that even today it looks right and works correctly with plain old WK,
but now the upgrade treadmill has us looking yet again at a toolkit
change.  Considering the differences required for WK2 over WK, WK2
becomes the 6th display toolkit used by GnomeSword/Xiphos in 15 years.
This gets old.

Yes, it will have to be dealt with. Comedy is not pretty. A related
problem is that the editor component was not ported to WK2 because at
the time Chris couldn't find adequate documentation of its API, as to
its differences from original WK. That is, at the moment, the
latest-hotness WK2 build still uses the GTKHTML editor.  Incongruous, I
know.  Funny, perhaps, but oddly enough it works. Er, worked until WK2
went off the deep end.

(Why does WK2 have /any/ API differences from WK?  What benefit is
reaped from gratuitously ripping up an interface?  Why could not the
internal re-implementation still present an identical application-facing
interface? -- Eh, don't answer that, I already know.)

https://github.com/crosswire/xiphos/issues/756

I have a politically incorrect yet tractable plan for how to deal with
Win32.

--karl