[sword-devel] Correction for KJV module in 2 Corinthians 1:8

Matěj Cepl mcepl at cepl.eu
Tue Jan 17 08:35:23 EST 2023

Dne 16. 01. 23 v 17:23 David Haslam napsal(a):
> And yes - it remains the case that the text of the KJV is protected
> by Royal Letters Patent within the United Kingdom, and that in
> principle, this copyright assertion should be upheld by subsequent
> mutual treaties in those nations that were signatories of the Berne
> Convention.

I have all respect for His Majesty (that’s weird … even as a Czech I
have still a strong tendency to write automatically Her Majesty), so I
don’t dispute this special copyright itself, but I always wondered what
does it actually mean. Which of the Four Freedoms
(https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html and
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/quick-guide-gplv3.html) are affected by it.

* Is there any limitation on my reading the text?
* Is there any limitation on my fixing problems with the given record of
the text (like what we do to it)?
* Is there any limitation on sharing such changed text with others?

Best,

Matěj

https://matej.ceplovi.cz/blog/, @mcepl at floss.social
GPG Finger: 3C76 A027 CA45 AD70 98B5  BC1D 7920 5802 880B C9D8

Besides, the determined Real Programmer can write Fortran
programs in any language.
      -- Ed Post, Real Programmers Don’t Use Pascal