[sword-devel] Correction for KJV module in 2 Corinthians 1:8

Matěj Cepl mcepl at cepl.eu
Tue Jan 24 03:17:22 EST 2023

On 2023-01-22, 09:22 GMT, Fr Cyrille wrote:
> Thinking about the copyright issue, I don't think it's necessary to put
> the kjv on the private part of our git (git.crosswire.org). The normal
> gitlab is quite enough if we only want to control the proposed changes.
> We know well that on git every merge request must be approved. Moreover,
> the whole process of updating modules is entrusted to the module team.
> So I propose to go for the simplest solution which is to put the kjv
> text on the open gitlab.
> Troy do you intend to move in this direction?
> Or will this case drag on for years?

This case DOES drag for years. There are two problems with this,
one easily overcome (but it would require change of hearts),
other not so.

1. Sword developers are more secretive and control-freaks than
   Albus Dubmledore. A simple questions: where is the public
   project of libsword with repository and issue tracker, where
   people can collaborate and/or contribute? Nowhere, that is
   where. The only official issue tracker is
   https://tracker.crosswire.org/projects/API with limited access
   (you have to ask for the account and you may eventually get
   it). No surprise then, that the official repository for source
   code is SVN [sic!] (http://crosswire.org/svn/sword/ … yes,
   that’s HTTP without S, see https://is.gd/6RgOCL) with
   basically no option to contribute whatsoever. All those git
   mirrors like https://github.com/refdoc/sword or
   https://git.crosswire.org/refdoc/sword are strictly unofficial
   and pull requests to them are ignored.

   Yes, conversion of Jira into anything more common is
   complicated operation (although there are tools to do it,
   https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/project/import/jira.html), so
   that can be a bit understandable (a bit), but not switching to
   git still doesn’t make any sense to me whatsoever.

2. The real problem is limited storage with GitLab.
   https://www.theregister.com/2022/08/04/gitlab_data_retention_policy/
   Hmm, when looking for the original reference to this I found
   https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/administration/inactive_project_deletion.html and
   https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/gitlab_com/index.html#inactive-project-deletion,
   which seems it has been in the end disabled on gitlab.com
   after all.

Using gitlab.com is perhaps not so bad idea after all. Of course,
that neatly returns us to the organizational

Blessings,

Matěj
https://matej.ceplovi.cz/blog/, @mcepl at floss.social
GPG Finger: 3C76 A027 CA45 AD70 98B5  BC1D 7920 5802 880B C9D8

“I have read St. Paul’s epistle on charity,” he said, “and, after
long reflection, I am persuaded that there exists a greater thing
than charity—a thing of more value to the human family. Like
charity, it rejoiceth not in iniquity, but it does not bear all
things or believe all things, or endure all things; and, unlike
charity, it seeketh its own … Do you know what thing I mean,
Smallwood? I will tell you. It is Justice.”
  -- Uncle Abner in “The House of the Dead Man”
     by Melville Davisson Post