[sword-devel] Correction for KJV module in 2 Corinthians 1:8

Michael H cmahte at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 10:32:03 EST 2023

So, the answer to "why keep the source closed?" is "There's no reason to
talk about it, because it's not actually source?"

This is exactly what I don't understand.

Consider other "midstream content hosting": At the Digital Bible Library:
USX XML source is a long way down the pipe from USFM, but several thousand
scripture works are stored and available with pretty liberal licenses.
Several hundred are available for inspection.

Why would inspection many types of USX be useful?  Why would people want to
see the source USFX and not USFM, (Or the scanse of books that they were
derived from?)

Because software developed for a specific XML is much more robust and less
buggy if a wide range of XML content is used for testing.  And when the XML
is available for inspection, apples to apples comparison between modules is
possible, creating the possibility to understand the code beyond the
specification, and avoid those gray areas where implementation isn't clear.

And when the XML is available publicly, inspection of the code itself
against it's upstream tagged text edition or scanned book edition can serve
to find where issues entered and eliminate them.

So, again, I don't understand why 'hidden' OSIS code is in anyone's best
interest. It would help all the participants on this thread who've
expressed frustration about getting bugs removed if there are good reasons
to hide the OSIS. I think understanding what this assertion means "*such
that only CrossWire volunteers have access."* is a worthy discussion on
this thread, which is about improving the Crosswire KJV module. I don't
understand why inserting demands and claims that open source is the wrong
way to source the KJV. What was the reason for making that assertion? And
simply suggesting we don't discuss it, when the dicussion is 'why can't we
get the KJV done?' and I've suggested that the cause is exactly what you
claim is a given. suggesting "there's no reason to talk about it" doesn't
seem to be finding solutions, but rather to make the process take longer
and keep solutions from being found.