[sword-devel] transChange element

Tobias Klein contact at tklein.info
Sat Dec 9 14:43:20 EST 2023

On 12/8/23 1:31 PM, Michael H wrote:
> (I wasn't at the OSIS formation conferences.... just worked with Bible
> translators, so this is about the use of the word, and not necessarily
> it's semantic meaning in OSIS.)
>
> "-implied" falls between  a literal (untagged) translation and an
> "added" word.  It represents information that is based on words in the
> original, that would have been obvious to the original reader, but is
> specifically supplied for modern readers.
>
> So for example, In translations that capitalize pronouns "he" when
> they refer to part of the Trinity, "-implied" might be used to cover
> the capitalization, especially when the reference is not clear to
> everyone.  The editorial decision is made to "capitalize", but then
> you get down into the specifics, and there are places where you can
> read those pronouns multiple ways, and various people in the past have
> already made different decisions. You have to put a He or a he, and
> make a choice... but where its not 100%, maybe adding that tag
> provides guidance later.  Or in translations that diminish the use of
> pronouns and replace them with the person's name... 'implied' covers
> this transformation. The words in the target language come from a word
> in the original, but more information is present in the target
> language at that specific point than was originally written.
>
> And that's just pronouns.  Any word can have implied information added
> to it.

Thank you, Michael!

So, I've implemented this just now. This is how it looks based on
converting the type attribute to the title attribute using a localized text.

The localized texts are looking like this in the locale file now:

     "transchange" : {
       "added" : "Words added",
       "amplified" : "More than addition of words to smooth out a
translation",
       "changed" : "Words are changed in the translation, such as modern
spellings",
       "deleted" : "Words that appear in the original but not in the
translation",
       "implied" : "Words added for modern readers, where in the
original the meaning was implied",
       "moved" : "Words that are moved to better represent the meaning
of the text being translated from their original order",
       "tense-change": "Change of the tense from the original to one
that occurs in the translation language"
     }

Would you suggest to change any of these for making the tooltip easier
to read?
This will then become the basis for translating the tooltip to other
languages as well.

Best regards,
Tobias