[sword-devel] transChange element

Michael H cmahte at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 07:31:04 EST 2023

(I wasn't at the OSIS formation conferences.... just worked with Bible
translators, so this is about the use of the word, and not necessarily it's
semantic meaning in OSIS.)

"-implied" falls between  a literal (untagged) translation and an "added"
word.  It represents information that is based on words in the original,
that would have been obvious to the original reader, but is specifically
supplied for modern readers.

So for example, In translations that capitalize pronouns "he" when they
refer to part of the Trinity, "-implied" might be used to cover the
capitalization, especially when the reference is not clear to everyone.
The editorial decision is made to "capitalize", but then you get down into
the specifics, and there are places where you can read those pronouns
multiple ways, and various people in the past have already made different
decisions. You have to put a He or a he, and make a choice... but where its
not 100%, maybe adding that tag provides guidance later.  Or in
translations that diminish the use of pronouns and replace them with the
person's name... 'implied' covers this transformation. The words in the
target language come from a word in the original, but more information is
present in the target language at that specific point than was originally
written.

And that's just pronouns.  Any word can have implied information added to
it.