[sword-devel] Ezra Bible App available for Android mobile now

Tobias Klein contact at tklein.info
Sun Aug 21 11:41:14 EDT 2022

Thanks for the quick feedback, Greg :)

On 8/21/22 5:10 PM, Greg Hellings wrote:
> While the resolution of my screen is unremarkable, on the tablet form
> factor the UI seems great. Very clean and usable. Someone the buttons
> are the smallest usable size, but the spacing between them means my
> taps are not mistaken for other buttons, and it's very usable for this
> screen.

The tablet variant was already available previously :), but anyway
thanks for trying this now!

>     - Built-in ability to sync database via Cloud storage (I am
>     planning to
>     start with Dropbox). This then supports the usecase of using the same
>     database across multiple devices (Desktop, Tablet, Mobile).
>

> As someone who likes to self host with Synology, I would love to see
> integration with that.

You mean a NAS on the local network? What would be the interface to
that? Local http(s)?
Are there existing integrations for that with other apps?

>     - Ship the app with pre-packaged KJV for an easier start.
>

> This would definitely be awesome. Or, like Xiphos on desktop, bring up
> the module manager on first boot to guide the user through
> installation. Even being familiar with Ezra it took me a moment to
> find the installer. Some sort of first run guide might be a good idea
> for the app, in general.

Yes, I'll definitely consider these enhancements.

>     Feedback is very welcome!
>

> I was bummed that it didn't discover the modules I had already
> installed through Bishop, but that was no great loss. I don't have
> anything custom installed through either one. Just a handful of basic
> Bible modules to use when I am at church. This is probably related to
> your post script statement below.

Yes, I am currently not reading/writing other locations than the
app-internal storage anymore with Android >= 11.
Which Android version are you on? If this is not working with Android <
11 than I may still be able to do something for the next release.

> I love Ezra's inline note editing. I would be curious about a way for
> me to back up that content before I go too far with using it.

Yes, that is also related to the point about syncing the database.

I am personally using an Android 10 tablet and there I don't have the
/sdcard issue yet. So there I am using the "DropSync" app to sync a
particular /sdcard folder with Dropbox. I manually changed the location
of the database in the configuration of the app. This is quite neat
because you can essentially switch back and forth between Desktop and
Tablet and work with the same data.

> Overall, first five minute impression is that this is a solid app
> experience. And it arrived just in time to serve me at church this
> morning!

Cool!

Enjoy your Sunday afternoon!

Best regards,