[sword-devel] Ezra Bible App available for Android mobile now

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 11:10:26 EDT 2022

Tobias,

On Sun, Aug 21, 2022, 09:41 Tobias Klein <contact at tklein.info> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Ezra Bible App (Version 1.7.0) is available for Android mobile now.

Installed it on my Galaxy S6 Lite tablet. Worked flawlessly.

> You can install it from the Play Store here:
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.ezrabibleapp.cordova
>
> This release does not contain any new functionality. It is just a
> port/optimization to smaller mobile resolutions.
>
> A detailed Change Log is available here:
> https://github.com/ezra-bible-app/ezra-bible-app/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md
>
> As this is the first published release for mobile, it is still a bit
> unpolished.
> Also, it will probably stay a bit of a compromise even in the long run -
> it is not easy to design an app that works on small resolutions vs.
> large resolutions equally well.

While the resolution of my screen is unremarkable, on the tablet form
factor the UI seems great. Very clean and usable. Someone the buttons are
the smallest usable size, but the spacing between them means my taps are
not mistaken for other buttons, and it's very usable for this screen.

> However, the major functionality of Ezra Bible App works and it is
> exactly the same codebase as for the desktop version. You can swipe
> left/right to switch chapters :)
>
> Here are some points that I'm considering for future versions:
>
> - Built-in ability to sync database via Cloud storage (I am planning to
> start with Dropbox). This then supports the usecase of using the same
> database across multiple devices (Desktop, Tablet, Mobile).

As someone who likes to self host with Synology, I would love to see
integration with that.

- More optimizations for mobile layout.

- Ship the app with pre-packaged KJV for an easier start.

This would definitely be awesome. Or, like Xiphos on desktop, bring up the
module manager on first boot to guide the user through installation. Even
being familiar with Ezra it took me a moment to find the installer. Some
sort of first run guide might be a good idea for the app, in general.

> Feedback is very welcome!

I was bummed that it didn't discover the modules I had already installed
through Bishop, but that was no great loss. I don't have anything custom
installed through either one. Just a handful of basic Bible modules to use
when I am at church. This is probably related to your post script statement
below. I love Ezra's inline note editing. I would be curious about a way
for me to back up that content before I go too far with using it.

Overall, first five minute impression is that this is a solid app
experience. And it arrived just in time to serve me at church this morning!

--Greg