[sword-devel] Ezra Bible App available for Android mobile now

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 13:42:36 EDT 2022

On Sun, Aug 21, 2022, 10:41 Tobias Klein <contact at tklein.info> wrote:

> Thanks for the quick feedback, Greg :)
> On 8/21/22 5:10 PM, Greg Hellings wrote:
>
> While the resolution of my screen is unremarkable, on the tablet form
> factor the UI seems great. Very clean and usable. Someone the buttons are
> the smallest usable size, but the spacing between them means my taps are
> not mistaken for other buttons, and it's very usable for this screen.
>
> The tablet variant was already available previously :), but anyway thanks
> for trying this now!

Interesting. I hadn't noticed that. Thr tablet is also pretty new to my
portfolio.

> - Built-in ability to sync database via Cloud storage (I am planning to
>> start with Dropbox). This then supports the usecase of using the same
>> database across multiple devices (Desktop, Tablet, Mobile).
>>

> As someone who likes to self host with Synology, I would love to see
> integration with that.
>
> You mean a NAS on the local network? What would be the interface to that?
> Local http(s)?
> Are there existing integrations for that with other apps?

Synology is a NAS appliance, yes. However, it comes with mobile apps (the
main one of relevance here is called Drive) that simulate the behavior of
Box, DropBox, etc apps for synching arbitrary files. On Android it appears
in my list of places to open or save files to when I'm dealing with email
attachments or social media uploads similar to the other apps mentioned.

The NAS also can do http, ftp, NFS, CIFS, etc but the relevant bit would be
the Drive app for this usage I would think.

> - Ship the app with pre-packaged KJV for an easier start.
>>

> This would definitely be awesome. Or, like Xiphos on desktop, bring up the
> module manager on first boot to guide the user through installation. Even
> being familiar with Ezra it took me a moment to find the installer. Some
> sort of first run guide might be a good idea for the app, in general.
>
> Yes, I'll definitely consider these enhancements.
>

>> Feedback is very welcome!
>>

> I was bummed that it didn't discover the modules I had already installed
> through Bishop, but that was no great loss. I don't have anything custom
> installed through either one. Just a handful of basic Bible modules to use
> when I am at church. This is probably related to your post script statement
> below.
>
> Yes, I am currently not reading/writing other locations than the
> app-internal storage anymore with Android >= 11.
> Which Android version are you on? If this is not working with Android < 11
> than I may still be able to do something for the next release.

I am on Android 12, One UI 4.1. It's a bummer Android Madd this more
difficult as it was one item in droids I preferred over iOS,  but I get it.

> I love Ezra's inline note editing. I would be curious about a way for me
> to back up that content before I go too far with using it.
>
> Yes, that is also related to the point about syncing the database.
>
> I am personally using an Android 10 tablet and there I don't have the
> /sdcard issue yet. So there I am using the "DropSync" app to sync a
> particular /sdcard folder with Dropbox. I manually changed the location of
> the database in the configuration of the app. This is quite neat because
> you can essentially switch back and forth between Desktop and Tablet and
> work with the same data.
>

> Overall, first five minute impression is that this is a solid app
> experience. And it arrived just in time to serve me at church this morning!
>

> Cool!
>
> Enjoy your Sunday afternoon!

A few rough edges I noticed using it in service,  not related to the mobile
bit specifically.

Once I wrote a note for a verse, I had to cycle note visibility on and off
again in the UI to hide them. It seems that entering the edit mode
displayed them without toggling the menu item, I think? I'd have to play
with it more to be certain that's what happened, but it seems that's what
went on.

Also, not sure if this is the app or a module issue but I have both the NET
module from eBible, KJVA from CrossWire, and a few other modules installed.
NET is the primary display. When I select the first verse under any header
and pull up the comparison pane to see other translations, all of them
display text except for KJVA. The KJVA has text for the verse if I pull it
up as the primary module, and it doesn't happen on other verses nor on
other modules. I'm attaching a pair of screeneries to show what I mean.

Overall it is a very useful mobile app on tablet!

--Greg