[sword-devel] I give up

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Fri May 15 19:20:55 MST 2020

On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 4:43 PM Tom Sullivan <info at beforgiven.info> wrote:

> Y'all:
>
> I finally successfully brought up a Fedora VM.
>
> General warning: Do NOT install LXDE - it will trash your ability to
> highlight text or copy/paste. XFCE is fine.
>
> Anyway, I tried multiple times to compile and run:
> Sword - worked fine as a test - there is a current rpm.

Yes, I package 1.8.1 combined with a major patch from Jaak that changes all
the __u64 integers to std::uint64_t values, because Sword does not compile
on PPC64LE due to errors regarding the __u64 type definition. However,
std::uint64_t values are consistent across the types (i.e. Sword doesn't
attempt to redefine them). Thus, you have the latest release available in
Fedora.

Bibletime - could not compile - rpm is still version 2

2.11 is still the latest. 3.0 is still in RC/preview. Fedora discourages
shipping RPMs of RC/beta software unless it's a product (like GMail was for
years) that is a perpetual beta. So this RPM is still up to date. As soon
as 3.0 final lands, I'll build the RPMs for it.

Xiphos - Could compile, had to copy *.so in order to run, acted
> strangely and did not show all modules. - rpm is still version 4.1

Which *.so did you have to copy, from where to where? Also, 4.2.1 is in the
updates-testing repository. Fedora requires all package updates for a
released version (Fedora 31 or 32 is probably what you're running, based on
this) to land in an "updates-testing" repository for at least 7 days or
until it has been tested as working by at least 3 different people before
they get moved to the standard repositories. You can install the new
version by "dnf install --enablerepo=updates-testing xiphos" if you want to
give feedback on the new package. For something like Xiphos I rarely get
any test feedback, so it lands automatically 7 days after I issue the
build. So in 6-7 days you'll see 4.2.1 make it to the stable repo. It's
already in Rawhide (Fedora's analogue to Debian Testing), since that is not
a gated, stable release.

> This is NOT a call for assistance. I will await suitable rpm files from
> any source. Monkeying around with that which is over my head is a waste
> of everybody's time, mine and yours.

Sword and BibleTime is already at latest, and Xiphos can be pulled from
updates-testing as I mention above or you can wait < 1 week's time and
you'll have it as long as you're working on Fedora 31 or later. Thanks for
giving it a gander!

--Greg