[sword-devel] I give up

Israel Dahl israeldahl at gmail.com
Wed May 13 17:47:23 MST 2020

On 5/13/20 4:57 PM, Tom Sullivan wrote:
> ...snip...
>
> Suggestion 1: Clean up documentation. Prime exhibit: May Crosswire
> page refers to Sword 1.8.0 with link for months with no mention of 1.8.1.

This is essential, and what makes it hard for new people to pick up and
work on some projects (not crosswire specific, but FLOSS in general)
> Suggestion 2: For the more popular distros, provide ready-to-go
> packages, .deb files (or equivalent, such as .rpm) for installs and
> updates, even if they do not hit the repositories until later. This
> will get users access who are not experts. In my opinion, for what it
> is worth, this is at least as important as new features. Also allow
> users an option to automatically check for updates and tell where to
> get a new package. I understand that this takes time and work. I would
> rather get some new features and bug fixes, and be able to get and use
> them, than new features I will never see because I can't compile or
> something. I rather think that others are also in my position as well.

I do think looking into a PPA (since it would be easier), and flatkpak/snap

>From the sound of it you seem to have issues in the Debian packaging
format.  You can require specific versions of files in your
debian/control.  This will prevent new versions from building on older
systems, but containerized packages (flatpak/snap) would solve that
issue.  This is a reason I switched to a Rolling Release type distro.
Technically you can do this in Ubuntu/Debian, and I have in the past....

If you need help on packaging specifically for Debian/Ubuntu I'd be glad
to assist you!  Just PM me