[sword-devel] AUR build fails in Manjaro (Was Re: Xiphos 4.2.1)

Caleb Maclennan caleb at alerque.com
Fri May 8 12:58:34 MST 2020

Yes I maintain the biblesync package as well.

Your issue is that `pacmac` does not seem to understand how to resolve
library dependencies. Yes installing the biblesync package will fix it for
you, but the way it is specified now is, I believe, correct for Arch Linux.
Depending on the SO module itself instead of on the package name adds a
bunch of tooling to the build process that checks versions and understands
when it can and cannot swap out a library without rebuilding dependent
packages. In this case if I just specified 'biblesync' as a dependency it
would let the system upgrade the biblesync package willy-nilly without
caring what happened to other packages. With the libbibilesync.so
dependency it understands that the software was compiled with a dynamically
linked library dependency and that if it updates that library it has to
also get an updated version of dependents that is compatible with the major
SO version.

Manjaro is mostly Arch under the hood, but not quite. And AUR helpers such
as pacmac are definitely explicitly not supported.

I'll look into whether I can legitimately specify both kinds of
dependencies to ease this pain, but at the end of the day the first
priority is going to be on correct Arch packaging. If you want to ease the
pain a little bit you can probably nab the pre-compiled packages from my
repo here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unofficial_user_repositories#alerque —
I think they should work in Manjoro because pacman understands how to
resolve those dependencies.