[sword-devel] Firefox to remove support for the FTP protocol | ZDNet

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Fri Mar 20 18:26:33 EDT 2020

:)

The primary use case we have today for remote repositories, where no
SWORD applications are involved (and thus would not benefit from SWORD
creating folder and file index snapshops), are 3rd party publishers (and
2nd and 1st party publisher: us) who manage their module folders by hand.

IMO, we shouldn't create static meta files for information which can be
retrieved dynamically.  It creates a point for inconsistency and this
should generally be avoided. i.e., we shouldn't try to create static
files which describe our dynamic file system where users change things
all the time. Especially when there are protocols we can and do use
which provide that meta information to us.  In my experiences points for
inconsistency become maintenance nightmares for everyone who is asked to
keep them current.

As a point of reference:

We currently have 1 optional dynamic item added to our repositories:
InstallSize

I hate this option.  I hear complaints often that this or that script
didn't update the .conf files or that some publisher didn't add the
InstallSize option to their .conf files.  It's optional, so no Bibles
are prevented from being distributed if it's not present.

I was never in favor of adding this option, but it provided what others
saw as a user experience improvement and I hadn't given them a way to
obtain it dynamically.  The details are that InstallMgr just grabs conf
files from the remote repository at first; it doesn't traverse any other
folders until a module is asked to be installed.  I could provide in
SWORD a quick method to dynamically compute and return the install size
of a remote module on demand and should eventually do this so we can
eternally ban the InstallSize conf parameter, but I just haven't had it
high on my priority list).  We have like 3 modules out of 2000 which are
huge and which I would be interested to know they were huge before
install, but 99.9% of our modules are all between 1MB and 8MB, which is
smaller many photos these days and InstallSize provides no useful
information for these.  Maybe we should simply include a
LargeModule=true option for the 3 which are the outliers and be done
with it.

But, anyway, these are all theoretical arguments and good to toss
around.  There is no current problem with this we are trying to solve
right now, and I am sure, like you, have a backlog of Bible objectives
on my todo list.

I can see a motivation you may have with ebible.org, to remove the FTP
service from your server.  I wouldn't be against adding to SWORD an
optional check for a meta file in the HTTP drivers and using that if the
repository manager wishes to provide it, but I'd still like to not give
up a line I regularly use with our publishers, "Setting up a remote
module repository is easy. Simply take any working SWORD library and
point an FTP server to it."  My motivations are only to make it as easy
as possible for others to use SWORD to share the Scriptures.  I am sure
yours are the same.

Troy