[sword-devel] Not user-friendly behavior in commentaries (should be continuous)

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 15:10:42 EDT 2020

On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 12:44 PM yvand <yvand.sword at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Greg for your quick reply with explanation!
>
> I thought there was a bug and "link entries" were not taken into
> consideration, when using osis2mod. Is there a simple way to test if a
> commentary module contains link entries? I tried with mod2imp to export
> FreCJE but it only shows verses with attached commentary ($$$Genesis 1:2
> is missing for instance). Maybe I misunderstood "link entries"
> functionality...
>
> I believe it worked as expected in the past (at least with Xiphos), but
> maybe I am wrong.

If you want to dig out an archival version of the library and apps, it
would be wonderful to see if this is the case.

> Unfortunately I am not familiar with C/C++ and with the sword engine, so
> I am not able to offer you a patch.

No, but you can definitely help define the desired behavior.

> I understand the issues you pointed and it doesn't seem easy. Currently,
> there are still questions, for instance: how will operate the engine if
> there are multiple commentaries starting with Gen.1.1 in the source, like :

> I guess I will now give up for this feature.

By no means do I intend to influence you to give up! There is still plenty
you can help do. First and foremost would be to wrap this up into a
detailed but concise definition with the reproducers you've mentioned above
and file it with the front-ends in their bug trackers. That's a good place
for getting front end changes and discussing them with the developers of
those apps. If one of them investigates and finds out that this is
something that needs to change in the engine or in the imports, then they
can work in a more technical and detailed way with the library developers
on which part needs to change and how.

Please, don't take this as discouragement. A complex issue like this, which
possibly represents a regression or an unintentional design change doesn't
just have a quick fix that someone is likely to toss out in a few days of
volunteer work. You've done a good job bringing up the difficulties you've
faced. If we can get this into a place more visible than email (like a bug
tracker), then we can make sure it doesn't fall out of peoples' minds.

--Greg