[sword-devel] Running confmaker.pl

pierre amadio amadio.pierre at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 09:14:55 MST 2018

Hi there !

I am afraid there is no pre packaged perl module for debian (if anyone
knows this to be wrong, please let us know the name of the package :) ).
I think it is possible to build things from sources this way so that perl
can use the sword library on a debian box:

The sword library will be installed in /usr/local/sword
The perl module in /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.24.1/

mkdir -p ~/tmp
cd ~/tmp
wget
http://www.crosswire.org/ftpmirror/pub/sword/source/v1.8/sword-1.8.1.tar.gz

tar xvzf sword-1.8.1.tar.gz
sudo mkdir /usr/local/sword
#my regular user is debian, use whatever fits your environment.
sudo chown debian /usr/local/sword
sudo apt-get install g++ swig python-all-dev libtool automake autoconf
libcurl4-openssl-dev libclucene-dev  make  python-virtualenv libicu-dev git

#### from
http://wiki.crosswire.org/Tutorial:Compiling_%26_Installing_SWORD#Debian_or_Ubuntu
PKGS="subversion build-essential autotools-dev pkg-config libz-dev
libclucene-dev libicu-dev libcurl4-gnutls-dev"
sudo apt-get install $PKGS -y
####

cd sword-1.8.1
./autogen.sh
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/sword --with-clucene --with-curl_sftp
--enable-examples
make
make install
make install_config

#setting environment variable to use locally installed sword library
cat >> ~/.bashrc <<EOF
export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/sword/bin/
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/sword/lib
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/sword/lib/pkgconfig
export CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/sword/include/sword"
EOF

. ~/.bashrc

cd ~/tmp/sword-1.8.1/bindings/swig/package
./autogen.sh

./configure PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/sword/lib/pkgconfig
CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/sword/include/"

make perlswig
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/sword/lib/pkgconfig
CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/sword/include/"  make perl_make
cd perl
#this directory may be different if you are not using a x86_64 version of
debian.
sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
#here too, use your real regular user name instead of debian
sudo chown debian /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
make install

I checked perl was able to see the sword module with this simple script:

debian at debian:~/tmp/sword-1.8.1/bindings/swig/package/perl$ cat test.pl
#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use Sword;

foreach(@INC) {print $_;print "\n";}

If it worked , it should generate no error message and show you all
directories in @INC.

Good luck.