[sword-devel] Running confmaker.pl

Tom Sullivan info at beforgiven.info
Fri Jun 29 14:02:30 MST 2018

Y'all:

First, thanks to Pierre for his long and detailed post.

Second, Debian 9 does come with perl5.24.

Third, here is where I am at: I followed Pierre's instructions on a
virtual machine (Debian 9) and successfully executed his test.

But on my real machine, I had successfully installed Sword in my home
directory. osis2mod, etc. are in /usr/bin. So I duplicated that
installation in a second virtual machine (Debian 9) and attempted to
just do the perl install as:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/user/sword-1.8.1/lib
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib/pkgconfig
export CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/include/sword"
cd /home/user/sword-1.8.1/bindings/swig/package
./autogen.sh
./configure PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib/pkgconfig
CPPFLAGS="-I/home/user/sword-1.8.1/include/"
make perlswig
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib/pkgconfig
CPPFLAGS="-I/home/user/sword-1.8.1/include/" make perl_make
cd perl
sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
sudo chown user /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
make install

This did not work. So reverted the VM and I tried the following. **
indicate changed lines.

** cd /home/user/sword-1.8.1/lib
** mkdir pkgconfig
** cp /usr/lib/pkgconfig/sword.pc
/home/spring/sword-1.8.1/lib/pkgconfig/sword.pc
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/user/sword-1.8.1/lib
** export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/user/sword-1.8.1/lib/pkgconfig
export CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/include/sword"
cd /home/user/sword-1.8.1/bindings/swig/package
./autogen.sh
** ./configure PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/user/sword-1.8.1/lib/pkgconfig
CPPFLAGS="-I/home/user/sword-1.8.1/include/"
make perlswig
**PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/user/sword-1.8.1/lib/pkgconfig
CPPFLAGS="-I/home/user/sword-1.8.1/include/" make perl_make
cd perl
sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
sudo chown user /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu
make install

In each case, I got the message:
perl ~/test.plCan't load
'/usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.24.1/auto/Sword/Sword.so' for
module Sword:
/usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.24.1/auto/Sword/Sword.so:
undefined symbol: _ZTIN5sword11ZipCompressE at
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.24/DynaLoader.pm line 187.
  at /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.24.1/Sword.pm line 11.
Compilation failed in require at /home/spring/test.pl line 3.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /home/spring/test.pl line 3.

--->>   Does anybody have a quick fix for this?

If not, I will have to wipe and reinstall sword, xiphos and others. A
real pain. I have spent some considerable amount of time on this
already. As part of SwordHammer, I would like to put out good modules
according to the new specification. But as things stand now, I cannot
ask users to do what I cannot even do on one brand of Unix much less
other flavors.

--->>   I am willing to do my part regarding module submission. But
users should be provided with simple means to do so. It would seem to me
best if somebody successfully installs Sword, that the perl interface
should be baked in and come with any successful installation, just like
osis2mod or xml2gbs.

Thanks all.

Tom

Tom Sullivan
info at BeForgiven.INFO
FAX: 815-301-2835
---------------------
Great News!
God created you, owns you and gave you commands to obey.
You have disobeyed God - as your conscience very well attests to you.
God's holiness and justice compel Him to punish you in Hell.
Jesus Christ became Man, was crucified, buried and rose from the dead
as a substitute for all who trust in Him, redeeming them from Hell.
If you repent (turn from your sin) and believe (trust) in Jesus Christ,
you will go to Heaven. Otherwise you will go to Hell.
Warning! Good works are a result, not cause, of saving trust.
More info is at www.esig.beforgiven.info
Do you believe this? Copy this signature into your email program
and use the Internet to spread the Great News every time you email.