[sword-devel] Inclusion of the Reina-Valera 1865

Vince LaRue vinsulation117 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 08:48:09 MST 2018

Hi Michael,

ParaTExt doesn't run on OSX, and I don't have the mental system
resources to muck about with Wine, or the money to get Crossover.
Autographa Lite doesn't seem to do anything; it opens and doesn't appear
to let me do anything (maybe I'm missing something; I'm not the
brightest bulb). translationStudio doesn't appear to allow rudimentary
markup like italics, at least not that I could figure out in the half an
hour or so that I wrestled with it. Bibleedit appears to require me to
install a server app, which I really don't want to do in order to
convert an already complete Bible in XML into another format. I was
happy working in plain text, but the sheer volume of the work would
hinder making this available quickly.

Another question: if OSIS is no longer the best way to produce digital
texts (which is my only interest currently), then why is nothing said
about a different preferred method on the Crosswire wiki? The last
information I can find is the 2.1.1 OSIS schema from 2006, and it's
consistently referenced throughout the wiki. Is that not a reliable
source of information?

Please pardon my incessant questions; I'm simply trying to figure out
the best way to make this Bible available electronically. The print
version is a parallel but separate endeavor, though I hope that the
digital prep process will produce a file that can be continually
annotated to eventually produce a reference Bible, both print and digital.

One other thing: I have been looking into Sketch Engine
(https://the.sketchengine.co.uk/) for producing a back-of-the-Bible
print concordance, and they recommend the "brat" annotation tool
(http://brat.nlplab.org/). Is this something that could at all be useful
with a Bible text, or configured to output data that would be useful?

Thanks,

Vince