[sword-devel] OSISVariants & SWORD

David Haslam dfhmch at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 20 11:27:45 MST 2017

The idea was prompted by my correspondence with Terence Noble in Vancouver.
He's the editor of the modern spellings Wycliffe 2012 Bible.
These have been published as Kindle e-Books.
I had been working with his agreement towards making a SWORD module,
but I got stuck over some technical matters, and the work got shelved due to
my ill-health.

He included bracketed text and parenthesised text to indicate which parts of
the Bible were from the earlier edition and which from the later edition.
I'd need to refresh my brain for the exact details.

As I recall, there are many verses that would read perfectly OK with both
variants hidden.
So the idea would be that for general reading without the clutter, you might
wish to hide both such variants.

Moreover, I don't see this kind of thing as a completely unexpected
situation.

One can have a Bible translation that includes additional words from more
than one source, but which doesn't require to replace any existing word or
words.

IMHO, our attachment of functionality based to the meaning of the word
variant has been overprecise.

Whether or not a front-end should ever display with no variants could be
something we might specify in the module .conf file.

Basically, any text wrapped inside a seg element for this purpose is
something that can be optionally shown or hidden according to certain
criteria. There's no overarching requirement that we should never have all
such text portions hidden.

Best regards,

David