[sword-devel] OSISVariants & SWORD

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Mon Mar 20 12:20:54 MST 2017

See below:

> On Mar 20, 2017, at 2:27 PM, David Haslam <dfhmch at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> The idea was prompted by my correspondence with Terence Noble in Vancouver.
> He's the editor of the modern spellings Wycliffe 2012 Bible.
> These have been published as Kindle e-Books.
> I had been working with his agreement towards making a SWORD module,
> but I got stuck over some technical matters, and the work got shelved due to
> my ill-health.
>
> He included bracketed text and parenthesised text to indicate which parts of
> the Bible were from the earlier edition and which from the later edition.
> I'd need to refresh my brain for the exact details.
>
> As I recall, there are many verses that would read perfectly OK with both
> variants hidden.
> So the idea would be that for general reading without the clutter, you might
> wish to hide both such variants.
>
> Moreover, I don't see this kind of thing as a completely unexpected
> situation.
>
> One can have a Bible translation that includes additional words from more
> than one source, but which doesn't require to replace any existing word or
> words.

That was my example of text found in one but not the other. While it is true regarding an isolated verse, it won’t be true for all.

When marking variants it is important to mark what is being replaced in the base text as the first variant. And the replacement as a second variant. Even when the variant is empty. They need to form parallel arrays.

E.g.
Suppose the words A C E G H I J in the original text. And A B D E F G J K L M in the variant text.
You might have
<A> <v1: v2:B> <v1:C v2:D> <E> <v1: v2:F> <G> <v1:"H I” v2:> J <v1: v2:”K L M”>

Which might be rendered in an interlinear fashion:
A  ---  *C* +E+ --- G +H I+ J -----

Turning off all variants shouldn’t show
A C E G H I J

Lets suppose it is a text that has some alternate spellings. The front end should be able to show the alternate spelling under the word or phrase. In this case it is important to mark what is being replaced as well as the alternate.
A B B' C D E E' FG F’ G'
Where FG is a single compound word and F’ G’ is broken into two words.
A B  C D E  FG
  B'     E' F' G’

Turning off all variants shouldn’t show:
A B C D E FG