[sword-devel] ERV issues in And Bible

David Haslam dfhmch at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 9 08:08:24 MST 2017

Thanks DM,

My hunch is that a lot of the problem may be associated with poetry line
groups, though I still haven't figured why this doesn't affect other modern
translations, most of which use poetry format.

On the other hand, maybe Michael is a bit unusual in the way he so liberally
includes the line break element <lb /> in his modules, though I think John
Austin does so too.

It might be observed that a line break element is presentational markup, not
semantic markup.

The multiplication of /pv serial numbers/ affects *eID* milestones as well
as *sID* milestones, but with one empirical proviso.

When the *sID* count is greater than 1, the *eID* count is sometimes equal
to 1.
When the *eID* count is greater than 1, the *sID* count is always greater
than 1.

The counts for both *sID* and *eID* milestones are in the set
*{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,72}*

The *pv serial number* with the high count of 72 was "pv1649".

These all occur in one range of verses!  *Numbers 7:12-83*

This is the list of the twelve tribe leaders that each brought gifts.

In the mod2imp output, the whole list is replicated in each of the 72
verses!
(Likewise for diatheke, which is not surprising to me.)

The source text here uses a *verse range* for the whole passage.

This is actually a separate issue related to how both *diatheke* and
*mod2imp* output the data for each verse within a linked verse range. In
effect they *replicate* for each such linked verse. (How could they do
otherwise without a great deal of further ingenuity?)

Aside: Would this strange behaviour cause a round trip via *imp2vs* to
stumble?

So we might be looking at two different issues, not just at what may go
wrong at module build.

Some of the smaller counts greater than 2 may be of a similar nature.

This doesn't explain those duplications of *sID milestone* that are closely
associated with preverse titles for the first verse of a chapter. But maybe
that's what got fixed when I removed the line break elements?  The rest is
smokescreen.

Best regards,

David