[sword-devel] Bible Markup

David Troidl DavidTroidl at aol.com
Sun Jan 29 10:35:31 MST 2017

Hello,

I am in the process of updating the OSHB module.  I have a valid OSIS
file of the text, but I have a few questions about markup for effective
display in SWORD.

1. I have lemmas of the form lemma="c/d/776" and lemma="5921 a", where
the c/d encodes the prefixes on the word, the numbers are Strong numbers
and the 'space a' represents an 'augment' for the Open Scriptures Hebrew
Lexicon, to tie in to Brown, Driver, Briggs.  My thought was to do
something like: lemma="pre:c/d strong:776" and lemma="strong:5921
aug:a".  Would this give better presentation that we have currently?  Or
is there a better way?

2. Some of the words have morphology attributes, like
morph="HC/Td/Ncfsa".  These are coded to the Hebrew Morphology Codes
<http://openscriptures.github.io/morphhb/parsing/HebrewMorphologyCodes.html>.
If they need a prefix, I was thinking of something like
morph="hmc:HC/Td/Ncfsa".

3. The words themselves have 'morphological divisions', like
וְ/הָ/אָ֗רֶץ.  These are meant to separate the prefixes from the main
word.  We have used <seg> elements in the past,
<seg> around every word, or only those words that have actual division
slashes?

This came up because I tried making the module directly from the OSIS,
without prefixes.  I found both the lemmas and morphs all jumbled
together and superimposed over each other, under each word, when I
tested the module in Xiphos.  I would like to automate the process of
preparing the text for SWORD, as much as possible, so future updates
won't be so labor intensive.

Your help will be appreciated.

Peace,

David