[sword-devel] Xiphos 4.0.3

Matěj Cepl mcepl at cepl.eu
Tue Aug 18 02:16:28 MST 2015

On 2015-08-17, 21:17 GMT, Greg Hellings wrote:
> The point is that, if we build against 1.1.2 (the way we used to build
> against 1.7.1 of SWORD, etc) then we are forced to execute a rebuild
> of the Xiphos and all other downstream packages just because the
> filename changes to 1.1.3 later on. Even though 1.1.2 and 1.1.3 are
> API/ABI compatible. By explicitly setting the SOVERSION to the
> earliest ABI-compatible version, or to a unique value that tracks ABI
> compatibility, we negate the need to force a rebuild of Xiphos every
> time we update biblesync.

See my previous post in this thread ... with change from 1.1.2
to 1.1.3 there should be no need of change, because the upstream
build system should make sure that both tarballs produce SONAME
libbiblesync.so.1.1

See http://semver.org/ for more details. If biblesync doesn’t
correspond to it (or any other sensible standard, but hey why to
use different standard than the most commonly used one), it
should get fixed.

Grace be with you,

Matěj

http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/, Jabber: mcepl at ceplovi.cz

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
   -- Dan Stanford