[sword-devel] Building Python binding to Sword on Windows returns exit code 1

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Fri May 16 15:14:51 MST 2014

Do you happen to know which of the projects in the solution failed to
build? I didn't try any of them outside of sword, swordswig, buildtest,
installmgr, and diatheke. All of those worked fine, although I did not test
the result of swordswig to see if it executed.

If you're building all of them, that means you're building both sword and
sword_static. On Windows that will not work because sword_static will
produce a "sword.lib" file while sword will produce both "libsword.dll" and
"sword.lib". It works fine to build both at the same time on Linux because
the name collision does not occur. Try building again and build all of the
products /except/ sword_static. The sword.lib that comes out of building
sword should be MUCH smaller than the 54MB because most of the code will be
in libsword.dll instead. I should update the system to generating the
static target on Windows as basically no one will want static linkage on
Windows - it violates too much of how things actually work there.

Thanks for the report, and don't feel bad about time delays. I myself am
about to get a whole host of distractions between now and the Memorial Day
holiday in the US (don't know where you are so you might not celebrate it).
Including visiting family and vacations, so I might be sketchy between now
and the middle of next week.

--Greg