[sword-devel] Packaging ....

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Fri Mar 28 03:37:13 MST 2014

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 08:52:05AM +0000, Barry Drake wrote:
>I had contact from the last packager saying that it is easy to
>use the existing template to rebuild the package, but no
>information as to where to begin.  I've read the page at:
>http://packaging.ubuntu.com/html/packaging-new-software.html
>and I am ready to have a go but I wonder if someone can talk me
>through using the existing templates in the old packages,
>updating and re-packaging?  It shows a command '$bzr builddeb
>-- -nc -us -uc' which appears to be what is needed, but
>instructions like that are very cryptic.  I don't suppose
>there's a 'packaging for dummies' page anywhere?

First of all I would work with Debian package, so that you won’t
have multiple packages between Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc.

Also, I would just pick existing source package from
https://packages.debian.org/sid/bibletime and fix it.

Also, prior to your work, it would be probably good idea just to
file a bug for whatever issues you see with the current package
(http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting). By that the work on the
Debian package won’t be split into multiple half-done efforts.

And yes, there is 'Packaging for Dummies' on
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/

Also, I think for the Debian packaging issues you could find
more help in a Debian mailing list (see
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/start.en.html#helpme
for more).

Best,

Matěj
P.S.: Note, that I haven’t been a maintainer of any Debian
package for the last nine years (cowardly defected to the
distros of my employer), so please don’t ask me any specific
Debian related questions.

He loves nature in spite of what it did to him.
      -- Forrest Tucker