[sword-devel] Problems for module creation

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Mon Dec 15 11:37:34 MST 2014

Dear Br Cyrille,

First, thanks for your persistence.

Comments below:

On 12/15/2014 08:23 AM, Fr Cyrille wrote:
> 2. With imp format:

Yes, imp2vs is probably your easiest path.

> Then I change the vpl file in imp file like that:
> $$$Genèse 1,1
> Au commencement, Dieu créa le ciel et la terre.
> $$$Genèse 1,2
> Or la terre était vide et vague, les ténèbres couvraient l'abîme, un
> vent de Dieu tournoyait sur les eaux.
> $$$Genèse 1,3
> Dieu dit: "Que la lumière soit" et la lumière fut.
> $$$Genèse 1,4
> Dieu vit que la lumière était bonne, et Dieu sépara la lumière et les
> ténèbres.
> I run the command:
> */imp2vs BibleJerusalem_imp.txt -v Catholic/*

You will also want to specify your locale so you get French Bible names
recognized.  Add this to the end of the command:

-l fr

> And first I was very happy to see the terminal working, but... He
> worked 5 hours!!!!

Yes, our verse parser interprets ',' as a list separator.  You can use
'.' or ':'.  You can also leave the spaces in the verse.  I suspect your
problem was not specifying the French locale.  The parser couldn't
recognize the French book names and I don't think you got the English
book names correct when you tried switching to English.  The problem
with the comma is that Gen1,2 was interpreted as: Genesis chapter 1 and
Genesis chapter 2.

> After, that I discover that first I need to use ":" and not ",", for
> chapter and verses separation, I suppress also spaces (with sed) and I
> need to use just english for the book's names. I modified all the
> Bible text like that:
> $$$Genèse1:1
> Au commencement, Dieu créa le ciel et la terre.
> $$$Genèse1:2
> Or la terre était vide et vague, les ténèbres couvraient l'abîme, un
> vent de Dieu tournoyait sur les eaux.
> $$$Genèse 1:3
> The result was better, it didn't dure 5 hours but few minutes. But the
> final text in the module didn't correspond well to the good book

I'm surprised the result was better. "Genèse" is not the English name
for "Genesis".

> (For example when I opened Isaia I red Esther) just the beginning of
> the old testament, and the new was also ok.

This sounds like you may have a problem between the -v Catholic flag you
used during the import, and Versification=Catholic configuration
parameter which would need to be in the module's .conf file.  Were you
sure to change the module's .conf file to match the versification you
used during import?

Also, as you may have seen in a previous post about another issue today,
we recommend using our latest version of module tools from SVN.  Often
we fix bugs and the packages are sometimes years behind.

You may wish to build from SVN:

svn co http://crosswire.org/svn/sword/trunk sword
cd sword
./autogen.sh
./usrinst.sh
make

then you'll have your utilities build under the utilities/ folder and
there will also be some tests we can run under the tests/ folder.

Hope this helps and can get you going.  Blessings in your efforts.

Troy