[sword-devel] Legitimate FTP Mirrors & Module Distribution Rights Question

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Mon Jul 30 11:38:07 MST 2012

On 30/07/12 17:10, Andrew Thule wrote:
> Troy does this mean that with respect to the modules you host, you go
> through the rigamarole  of tracing back to source the copyright status
> for the sake of due diligence?

Yes. We have been caught out, we will get caught out again, no doubt,
but we will always err on the side of caution if we do not know exactly
where we are with a text.

> I'd like to know more about establishing a text's
> pedigree.

There are three potential problems with a text which should be public
domain.

1) The text is not the text it claims to be. Not unusual. A language X
has an old bible translation which is definitely PD. We get a text,
stating this is the old translation and then it transpires that it is in
fact a much newer translation. Usually this is a mistake, occasionally
it is malice.

2) The text is the text we think it is, but someone has edited/updated
it. This is very hard sometimes as the edits might be subtle and not
easily recognisable. They might even be deliberately hidden in order to
establish a spurious copyright.

3) The text is the text we think it is, but it has been mutilated by
poor copying, multiple format transformations, KJVifying and
de-KJVifying in terms of versification, ripping out bits which are not
deemed to be canonical enough by whoever handled it before etc etc.

As a solution to above - We tend not to accept texts from just about
everyone, but are very careful. If a text is PD, we do not accept in
general a module, but ask for a link back to a authorative website where
the text is hosted. We do ask questions who copied from whom and we
generally whittle things down fast.

We certainly do not accept texts (after poor experiences) from
non-CrossWire bible software projects.

When running our import routines, missing verses and odd versifications
become obvious usually and this again highlights poor texts. There are
other signs of poor text quality.

Most of the texts we have imported over the last 3-4 years are directly
from publishers (Bible societies etc) and others are from bona fide and
often long established transcription projects.

Hope this makes sense.

Peter