[sword-devel] Musings about the Cherokee NT module

David Haslam dfhmch at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 2 05:57:18 MST 2012

Peter writes, "I must confess my interest in Cherokee is fairly limited"

Quite so, and I would have said the same eight weeks ago.

My interest was stirred by existence of the SWORD module, and then by the
fact that the Cherokee NT project might still be a live project. See
http://www.cherokeenewtestament.org/

The home page includes....

Remember, this is a translated text, there is a high probability that some
verses may not translate well or make perfect grammatical sense. Don't
assume this to be the ulitmate reference of the Cherokee language. The
version of the English New Testament was chosen purely by convenience and
the grammer or wording may not match the Cherokee as well as other English
versions. The English version was chosen because, as a text document, each
verse was on it's own line, regardless of how long of a verse it was. This
made it very easy for me to write code to break it down into individual
verses. I sure wasn't going to cut and paste all that.

Do not trust the transcription currently posted to be correct. A preliminary
check found that 15% of the verses have a typo. Some verses have been
proofread and corrected, but not all.

See also http://www.cherokeenewtestament.org/problems.html

My musings were therefore motivated by wondering what (if anything)
CrossWire could do to assist the project, assuming we could establish
contact with the project leader[s]. Given that between us we have far
broader experience of what can be done with suitable software tools and
skills, (i.e. than someone solely focused on the Cherokee language), it
seemed a sensible thing to consider. So I began a little investigation on
2012-05-09, and it sort of "growed like Topsy".

David

David