[sword-devel] Musings about the Cherokee NT module

David Haslam dfhmch at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 1 11:34:46 MST 2012

Hi Greg,

If all we wanted to achieve is the capitalization of proper names for the
transliteration, the back conversion wouldn't be needed.
We could even make a Cherokee Latin module, were we so inclined.
/Aside - I've even actually made one for myself, but without any uppercase
letters/.

It only becomes relevant were we to go the whole way to restore the original
orthography
with proper names and sentence starts having 20% enlarged Cherokee syllabary
symbols,
as observed in the PDF file I downloaded from Google books.

Does this answer your question?

Remember - these are musings that emerged from pursuing my curiosity much
further than I'd normally do.

For me it was what I learned during the process that's important, yet
something significant has emerged.
Namely that a detailed inspection of
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherokee_syllabary brought to light:

(a) the potential for inaccuracies arising for theoretical a round trip
(b) confirmation from the Cherokee NT text that this was real, not just
theoretical
(c) a demonstrable method to workaround this weakness

The Wikipedia page is something I edited while I was engaged in this line of
investigation.
In particular, this section.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherokee_syllabary#Transliteration_issues
was added.