[sword-devel] preverse divs

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Wed Feb 29 09:42:48 MST 2012

On 02/29/2012 07:21 AM, Peter von Kaehne wrote:
> Ok,
>
> Just my 2p to the matter:
>
> There are several versions of osis2mod about which produce different results.

This is unfortunate.

Revision 2358, 28 April 2009: The x-preverse div was added. With that
change all interverse material was retained. As described in another
email in this thread.
 From 2358 to 2502 (9 January 2010) bugs and compile warning/errors were
fixed. Each of these bug fixes were in response to a module maker having
a problem.

Revision 2519, 4 June 2010: The x-preverse div was commented out. The
interverse material, especially titles, is no longer marked as preverse,
leaving it to the module maker to put it in.
 From 2519 to 2667 (12 Nov 2011) compile warning/errors were fixed.
All modules made with a version of osis2mod from 2519 to 2667 having
significant interverse markup will have problems.

Revision 2668, 12 Nov 2011: The x-preverse div was put back in.
 From 2668 to 2671 (12 Nov 2011) bug fixes were put in. Significantly,
osis2mod was aborting because of the improper handling a chapter not in
the v11n.

> I learned the hard way that other than by adding x-preverse to most titles etc things do NOT work.

There is a bug/shortcoming in osisheadings.cpp.

> But recently things have become more broken and it has become a mess to figure out.
>
> It is not all engine as modules produced in different times have different level of "properness".
>
> It would be great if we as module makers had a clear specification to work to - whatever that is - and then could dump the module into osis2mod and get a working module.
The intention is that the module maker creates an OSIS xml file that
matches the spec and does not do anything special for SWORD.
The current osis2mod supports this. However, SWORD and the frontends
built on it do not. Osisheadings.cpp needs to be modified and when it is
released, modules need to be marked as requiring that version of SWORD.
If we knew what that number would be, we could mark modules with that now.

> At the moment we do not.
Where does that leave us:
Create modules with revision 2355 or earlier. Test the module to ensure
it works. (Non-av11n should work with 1.5.9).
or
Create modules with the latest and wait for osisheadings.cpp to be changed.

In Him,
     DM