[sword-devel] locales.d submission Inuk: iu.conf & iu-utf8.conf

Andrew Thule thulester at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 09:00:03 MST 2012

Agreed - though I'm not convinced the convention we're seeing
suggested by the Inuit Cultural Institute has been standardized to the
extend being suggested.

The language has regional variances, and the written form didn't exist
until it was introduced initially in Greenland, later Alaska based on
the Latin alphabet, whereas the written form we're dealing with,
Qaniujaaqpait was introduce introduced into  Nunavut eventually making
its way to isolated communities (Netsilik Inuit in Kugaaruk, and
Baffin Island).  Accordingly Latin Writing systems have begun to give
way to the Qaniujaaqpait form, but still reflects regional variations
in pronunciation such as the variations on vowels you seem to have
noticed (aai,  ii,  ai).

Given that this bible represents the single largest body of writing
using these glyphs in a single tome, it should try as much as possible
to represent the greatest norm.  That said, I'm not convinced the
restrictions you've noted represent that norm.  Which means I'm apt to
favour the forms submitted (which was done in Nunavut by native
speakers):

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/translation-makes-bible-available-to-inuktitut-speakers/article4227710/

However, do as you see best.  Your judgement is well trusted.
~A