[sword-devel] The derivation of the Simplified Chinese module (ChiUns)?

David Haslam dfhmch at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 24 00:31:27 MST 2011

Thanks Chris,

You asked - Has any "expert Chinese reader" actually noted any problem?

Last October, I had some discussions with a Chinese friend who had noted
numerous issues in our previous ChiUns module. I'm trying to re-establish
contact with him.  If he doesn't respond soon, I will discuss this topic
with some of my other Chinese friends.

In theory at least, there may be issues with mechanical conversion,
particularly if this is done only at the individual codepoint level. The
need for "one to many" replacements, as well as to go to higher levels than
individual characters could have serious consequences, including some
instances where the meaning is changed.

Further to this, as the module has Strongs and other markup, this may mean
that doing the conversion on the source text (OSIS) will cause the semantic
context to be obscured by the interspersing of XML elements.

Thanks for the lead about the built in tool in Mac OS X. While I was
Googling, I came across  http://openvanilla.org/  http://openvanilla.org/

"OpenVanilla is a collection of popular Chinese, Taiwanese, Japanese and
symbol input methods and language tools. It is also easy to customize or
create your own input methods with OpenVanilla's flexible design. Available
on Mac OS X and Windows."

Evidently, the Mac OS X Chinese text converter is based on this.

I'm also pursuing some other lines of research (another conversion tool),
though not yhet ready to report on the outcome.

Finally, what MediaWiki uses for this task is freely available as a PHP
script, though I have not looked further than this page yet.
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Automatic_conversion_between_simplified_and_traditional_Chinese
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Automatic_conversion_between_simplified_and_traditional_Chinese

David