[sword-devel] Russian russynodal

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Mon Jul 11 12:06:25 MST 2011

On 07/11/2011 01:49 PM, Martin Denham wrote:
> I have asked a Russian user to look at it and he and a Russian pastor
> think it looks okay but he is going to give more feedback in 2 weeks.
>  Are the differences documented anywhere so I can tell my contact of
> possible problem areas to check?
You'd have to compare the KJV and the Russian versifications (v11n) to
tell what the differences are. But it might help to understand how a
SWORD module is laid out.
1) The verses are numbered in order from first to last. Special
provision is made for testament, book and chapter introductions, with
these being counted whether present or not.
2) When a Book, Chapter and Verse is given, it is converted to one of
these numbers.
3) That number is used as an index into the module to fetch the
requested verse.

It's number 2) that causes the issues. A non-KJV v11n can differ from
the KJV v11n in the following ways:
a) Books can be in a different order.
b) A book can have more chapters.
c) A book can have fewer chapters.
d) A chapter can have more verses.
e) A chapter can have less verses.
f) A chapter might end early and the next chapter start early.
g) A chapter might start late and the previous chapter end late.
h) A passage might appear in a different location.
i) ...

The upshot is that if the index 27652 is used to get a verse it might
not be what the user wants. The larger the index, the more likely that
it is not what the user wanted.

JSword has another limitation, it validates the input for 2). If a
chapter number is given for a book or a verse number is given for a
chapter and it is not in range of the KJV v11n an exception is thrown.

So, I agree with Chris, don't give access to av11n modules.

-- DM