[sword-devel] [jsword-devel] Missing short bible book names for most languages

David Haslam dfhmch at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 11 03:39:13 MST 2011

If you give careful thought to this, Bible book names are not intrinsically
tied to the locale. You can have two different translations in the same
language that use different book names. Obvious example is the difference
between how the books of the Pentateuch are named in some Bible versions.

We can also make a distinction between: [this list may be incomplete]

* Simple book names: Isaiah
* Bookname abbreviations:  Isa
* Verbose book names: The book of Isaiah
* Alternative book names: (sometimes called ..... )
* Internal book names: (as used in the software source code)

It's important that we seek to remain faithful to the book names used by the
translators, particularly within the modules, especially for the titles that
are used as headings for the books.

David