[sword-devel] [jsword-devel] Missing short bible book names for most languages

Ben Morgan benpmorgan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 04:06:09 MST 2011

There are two types of abbreviations for booknames:
1) abbreviations that are recognized when parsing user input (i.e. we can
parse Isa 3:5).
2) abbreviations of a bookname that are shown to the user when an
abbreviated form is used (i.e. for Isaiah 3:5, we show Isa 3:5).

Peter is talking about 1), but Martin is talking about 2).

BPBible has some of the abbreviations you were looking for that aren't in
jsword: fr, hu, and pt
as well as hi (hindi) and ne (nepali)
http://code.google.com/p/bpbible/source/browse/#svn%2Ftrunk%2Flocales%2Flocales.d

Incidentally, I disagree with David that we should remain faithful to the
abbreviated booknames used by the translators of each translation -
consistency in the application is I believe more important than being
perfectly faithful to the printed text. I don't mind the idea of having
options for switching between different booknames/abbreviated booknames in
one locale, though.

God Bless,
Ben
Multitudes, multitudes,