[sword-devel] KJV vs Russian Synodal versification comparison

Konstantin Maslyuk kalemas at mail.ru
Wed Apr 20 01:08:34 MST 2011

> Sorry  for  now  answering  earlier  - your file has been incredibly
> helpful  in  trying  to understand this and to chase down where this
> mapping  should  come  in!  However I am still trying to pick my way
> through   this!   It   seems  that  there  are  not  only  different
> versification  formats  (KJV and Synodal) but that different Synodal
> versions  have  different  (possibly  incorrect) mapping as well :-(
> Additionally  it seems that the versification is of course different
> between the Protestant Synodal and the Synodal!

Sorry  i  haven't  any  Protestant  Synodal Bible all i use is printed
Synodal  Bible from Russian Bible Society. I m not sure why Protestant
Synodal Bible versification should be different.

Of  course  my  data  is  applicable  to  versification  used in Sword
Project.   But   i  found  only  one  place  different  between  Sword
and my printed reference versification, it was somewhere in Psalms and
i  would look for it for you (one verse had two entries instead of one
in printed reference).

> This has caused me a bit of a headache I'm afraid to say!

> Let me explain...

> I  now  have  your Synodal xml reference, 1 product's reference (and
> another  product  that supports this versification to look at) and 1
> "cheat  sheet"  to  explain  the  mappings.  It  seems  that neither
> reference  matches  exactly  to what we have, although, the products
> both work as expected?!

This is also not clear to me. Would you describe what it is, what type
of  content: text or versification scheme reference, what language and
what versification it supposed to be.

> Eg:  (and  I  appreciate that you said your file does contain errors
> but  I'm just trying to sort out where they might be - either on our
> side or in the file you sent)

I say that my file may contain errors, but every verse that explicitly
described  in  my  table  in mappings section was checked and manually
mapped  to corresponding KJV verse by its text. There would be mapping
errors in places that absent at all in table, in cases where one verse
was  expanded  in two (has one entry in KJV and two or more entries in
Synodal) and then compressed in one in range of one chapter.

>                 KJV                     Synodal
> In your file:   Lev.14.55-Lev.14.56     Lev.14.55
> Ref1:           Lev 14:56               Lev 14:55
>                 Lev 14:57               Lev 14:56
> Ref2:           Lev 14:55 - Lev 15:56   Lev 14:55
>                 Lev 14:57               Lev 14:56
> Kazakh text:    Lev 14:56 - Lev 15:57   Lev 14:56

Are you sure that there are verse ranges over chapters?
                    (Lev "14" :56 - Lev "15" :57)

If  here is mistake, then my data is according to your Ref2. Otherwise
i  can  not understand how one verse in Synodal text would be expanded
to range of chapter.

> Now  I'm  not  sure which it should be, but it seems that the Kazakh
> text  is  totally  different  to  everyone else :-( Which may mean a
> mistake in the Kazakh text :-(

> And  to  add  to  the  situation  this  verse talks about "clean and
> unclean" ;-)

To  make it clear it would be helpful to make comparison by verse text
contents.  I  have  a friend from Kazakhstan if you have problems with
this.  And  fairly  the  table  above  it  is  not  clear  to me, what
text corresponds to what.