[sword-devel] Remote Module Repository Wiki

Jonathan Morgan jonmmorgan at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 07:35:01 MST 2010

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 1:24 AM, Karl Kleinpaste <karl at kleinpaste.org> wrote:

> Jonathan Morgan <jonmmorgan at gmail.com> writes:
> > 2. Offering a list of downloads at CrossWire tends to suggest that
> > they are the *only* books available.  While I can download zip files
> > from Xiphos FTP directly (for example), it's not easy to find out
> > about
> > BPBible relies on zip installation at present.  I think this is a
> > reasonable decision, though we would like to grow Install Manager
> > support at some point (in part to get easier access to the Xiphos
> > repository).
>
> You can access http://ftp.xiphos.org/sword/mods.d.tar.gz, crack it open,
> and see what's available.  Just two assumptions:
> - the zip subdir is at the same level as mods.d
> - xyz.conf has a corresponding xyz.zip.

Agreed.  I can and have.  I don't expect my average user to, though.

>  DM Smith <dmsmith at crosswire.org> writes:
> > I think every frontend should be able to browse, at least locally, for
> > a "raw" zip and install it. That way the downloads from the web page
> > become less of a support question.
>
> You are re-invoking a question I asked some months ago, about baseline
> behavior -vs- per-app features.  For all apps to support such behavior
> is to draw a rather hard line in the sand under the "baseline" category.

I think it should be baseline for the same reasons as DM.  However, since we
have very little that is truly "baseline" this would probably just join the
list of "would be nice to have, but too much work for right now" (and I
willingly concede that BPBible has this too).

Jon