[sword-devel] Mac OSX Development Setup

Gregory Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 05:55:17 MST 2010

Firstly, there is a free version of XCode available from the Apple
website, which will likely be more up to date than the version that
came with the OS. It's a big download (a gig or more) but worth it if
you have the download pipe. Also, it updates through the built-in
Software Updater for OS X I believe?

On Jan 13, 2010, at 6:39 AM, "Peter von Kaehne" <refdoc at gmx.net> wrote:

>> ps:  there is an alternative to using fink, which is MacPorts --
>> http://www.macports.org/ which I tried but ended up reverting to
>> fink.  That was
>> about 6 months ago, but I already forget how to use it.
>
> Many moons ago when I was in possession of an ibook (I eventually
> hated it, but that is beside the point) there were three alternatives:
>
> fink as described by Nic,
>
> Darwinports (probably mnow the above mentioned macports) which works
> essentially like any other BSD ports system. Easy enough to learn
> but occasionally a bit tedious.
>
> Gentoo on Mac (not sure where this is going or whether it still
> exists) which uses gentoo's tools around portage.
>
> All three use their own root directory which allows having all three
> on a system. I would think though that mixing in this fashion can
> have some "interesting" effects, unless you ensure that all your
> paths are cleanly kept apart from each other.

Fink goes in /sw as Nic said. Macports goes in /opt/local. Gentoo on
mac I am not familiar with. I regularly used to run both fink and
Macports simultaneously with no ill effects (except duplicated
packages they would both install eating up more HD space but that was
about it)

One major reason to use Fink from a SWORD perspective is that it's ICU
packages install headers for the system ICU library, which means you
don't need to include your own ICU build when distributing and it also
uses the XCode version of gcc (unlike Macports). A note in Macport's
favor for me was that it has newer versions of ICU (system is
somewhere around 3.6 or whatever) but BibleTime didn't use ICU at all,
it has more recent versions of gcc, and for me it came down to: it had
qt4 before fink ever did.

You'll probably want to go with fink, as it's lighterweight to install
and integrates with ICU better, but I never had problems with Macports.

--Greg