[sword-devel] OSIS variants

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Thu Jan 7 18:59:22 MST 2010

We have probably got a few Bibles released that use the markup suggested
in the Wiki. It looks like I either forgot to write or forgot to commit
the code to actually make this work in Sword.

How to represent ketiv & qere readings in OSIS depends on how you
interpret them and how you want to display them.

If you want to place the qere reading within a note identifying it as a
secondary reading, then the markup suggested by the OSIS manual is what
is essentially what the printed BHS does, and this will work correctly
in Sword already.

If you want to allow the user to toggle the two readings in place, so
that the program displays either the ketiv, the qere, or both, then you
should follow the markup suggested by our Wiki. (<seg type="x-variant"

I'm not actually sure that toggling readings makes that much sense in
general. The use of OSIS <rdg> in <note> makes more sense, both for
ketiv/qere readings and the GNTs that have variant readings.

Note that <rdg> must occur within <note>. I believe you can place it in
a <p> outside of <note>, but this is an unintended side effect of the
limitations of XML Schema. If OSIS moves to a more powerful schema
language, these types of problems might be fixed.

--Chris