[sword-devel] osis2mod import issue

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Sat Jun 6 03:44:21 MST 2009

On Jun 6, 2009, at 1:58 AM, Mattias Põldaru wrote:

> Ühel kenal päeval, R, 2009-06-05 kell 15:44, kirjutas Karl Kleinpaste:
>>
>>> That certainly looks bad in Xiphos. I think it is a rendering bug.
>>> I'm curious what it looks like when headings are turned off
>>
>> I closed his report a little while ago.
>>
>> It's clearly not a bug in Xiphos; when I breakpoint in the display
>> code
>> to catch the content coming back from the engine, there is a clear
>> excess of the use of "<!/P><br />".  They're all over the place, in
>> headings and in the text.  Also, his module ends every verse in a
>> paragraph spec, so even when Xiphos is not displaying the module in
>> verse-per-line mode, it's still showing as verse-per-line.
>>
>> When headings are turned off, the entire excess-whitespace problem
>> disappears, though the discrepancy due to the module's
>> every-verse-is-a-paragraph problem persists, of course.
>

> The syntax I used is taken from Esther book example from
> http://bibletechnologies.net/osistext/ (the first PDF)
> I copy an example over from there:

>   <verse sID="Esth.1.9" osisID="Esth.1.9" />
>   While the men were enjoying themselves, Queen Vashti gave the
>   women a big dinner inside the royal palace.
>   <verse eID="Esth.1.9" />
>   <verse sID="Esth.1.10" osisID="Esth.1.10" />
>   By the seventh day, King Xerxes was feeling happy because of so
>   much wine. And he asked his seven personal servants, Mehuman,
>   Biztha, Harbona, Bigtha, Abagtha, Zethar, and Carkas,
>   <verse eID="Esth.1.10" />
>   <verse sID="Esth.1.11" osisID="Esth.1.11" />
>   to bring Queen Vashti to him. The king wanted her to wear her
>   crown and let his people and his officials see how beautiful she
>   was.
>   <verse eID="Esth.1.11" />
>   <verse sID="Esth.1.12" osisID="Esth.1.12" />
>   The king's servants told Queen Vashti what he had said, but she
>   refused to go to him, and this made him terribly angry.
>   <verse eID="Esth.1.12" />
>

> It is clear, that using <p> forces linebreaks between paragraphs
> (which
> I have at every versebreak, I get the OSIS from a selfmade script and
> plan to remove some of these manually later, but before that I want to
> be sure that everything else is fine).
> I still think <!/P> and <br/>  shouldn't appear together, that creates
> this enormous space.

The example in the manual is correct. A paragraph can consist of a
single verse, but typically it consists of many. Having it around
every verse is simply not right and looks like one is trying to force
verse-per-line. I'm glad to hear that you are aware of this as a
problem.

Regarding where the "<! P/><br/>"  is, it is in the SWORD engine, in
the osishtmlhref filter, which Xiphos uses. So the problem is not for
osis2mod or for Xiphos (or any other front-end) but for the SWORD
engine.

I'm going to be submitting a patch for that code and I'll take this
into consideration as well. I'm going to need a bit of help as I don't
have a clue as to what <! P/> is or how it is used in the engine or
front-ends.

In Him,
	DM