[sword-devel] sarath

Jonathan Morgan jonmmorgan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 04:16:59 MST 2008

On Feb 4, 2008 6:02 AM, DM Smith <dmsmith555 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Many blessings on you for your offer. There are many opportunities,
> but which one is best suited for you depends upon your skill set, your
> desires and how God is leading you. So please let us know a bit more
> about you and perhaps we can better answer your question.

If you look in the archives of this mailing list you can see some
things that people have been persistently asking for (alternate
versification sprints to mind...).

> We have two Sword engines, on in C++ and the other in Java. The latter
> is better known as JSword. There are a number of efforts to wrap the C+
> + engine with other languages, I think via SWIG bindings. These are
> such as Python and .NET.

Yes, they are mostly based on SWIG (though SwordWeb uses Java with JSP
from CORBA, from memory).  One person has talked about using Ruby, but
the majority have been either C# or Python.  BPBible uses Python, and
the bindings it uses includes some extensions to the bound Sword
libraries (I am thinking of splitting it out into a separate project
if it becomes much more than a SWIG binding).

> The Sword/JSword engines are used in various front-ends for different
> platforms/operating systems.
> Windows - The SWORD Project for Windows
> Linux - BibleTime (currently KDE, but moving to Qt) and GnomeSword
> (Gnome based)
> Mac - MacSword and a new project called Eloquent.
> Cross Platform - (Windows, Linux and Mac) BibleDesktop (built on
> JSword) and The Bible Tools (client/server web based)
> And a few others.

BPBible, for example.

You are always welcome to start a new one, but if you are interested
in front end work then you are probably best to start on an existing
one.  My impression has been that there is a comparative lack of
people doing backend work (which can benefit all applications), so if
you feel inclined that way there is plenty to do.

> There is always a need/desire for new modules. This often requires
> negotiation for permission to distribute from copyright owners.
>
> And there is a need to translate our front-ends into more languages.

Telegu, for example, is unlikely to be represented (I am unaware of
any Indian languages having either modules or translations - that
being the case, I don't know everything that goes on).

> Some good places to look to see what is needed:
> Our issues database - www.crosswire.org/bugs
> Our To Do list - http://www.crosswire.org/wiki/index.php/Current_events

>From memory you will find that the issue tracker is used more be
JSword for feature requests and bug reports than by Sword.

Jon