[sword-devel] sarath

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 3 12:02:30 MST 2008

Sarath,

Many blessings on you for your offer. There are many opportunities,
but which one is best suited for you depends upon your skill set, your
desires and how God is leading you. So please let us know a bit more
about you and perhaps we can better answer your question.

We have two Sword engines, on in C++ and the other in Java. The latter
is better known as JSword. There are a number of efforts to wrap the C+
+ engine with other languages, I think via SWIG bindings. These are
such as Python and .NET.

The Sword/JSword engines are used in various front-ends for different
platforms/operating systems.
Windows - The SWORD Project for Windows
Linux - BibleTime (currently KDE, but moving to Qt) and GnomeSword
(Gnome based)
Mac - MacSword and a new project called Eloquent.
Cross Platform - (Windows, Linux and Mac) BibleDesktop (built on
JSword) and The Bible Tools (client/server web based)
And a few others.

There is always a need/desire for new modules. This often requires
negotiation for permission to distribute from copyright owners.

And there is a need to translate our front-ends into more languages.

Some good places to look to see what is needed:
Our issues database - www.crosswire.org/bugs
Our To Do list - http://www.crosswire.org/wiki/index.php/Current_events

I hope this helps.

Serving Him,