[sword-devel] Adding abbreviated names to the module conf file (was Re: isalnum(3) for i18n)

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Wed Dec 17 13:36:00 MST 2008

Chris Little wrote:

> Tom Cornell wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 3:04 AM, Chris Little <chrislit at crosswire.org>
>> wrote:
>>> My recommendation was actually that the default be the language of the
>>> module (what I have referred to, perhaps somewhat confusingly, as the
>>> localized name). In the absence of that, I recommended using the
>>> English.
>>> For old (all existing) content, the fallback would be the current
>>> combination of localized plus English that is found in most modules.
>>
>> What do you make of English language editions of Greek Bibles, where
>> the module config file pretty much has to say "Lang=grc"?
>>
>> I personally would not want to see "Wetcott-Hort" or "Tischendorf"
>> transliterated just to match the module language setting, nor (being
>> serious for a minute) would I want to try to wade through a koine
>> translation of the module description as laboriously as I wade through
>> John, say, but I could easily imagine wanting the description to
>> appear in whatever I had set my locale to, since presumably that
>> represents a declaration to my computer that this is the language I am
>> most comfortable with.
>
> I covered this in another reply, but my position is essentially that all
> works should have their real title (as it would be presented on a title
> page of the printed edition). For the case of Greek Bibles, this will
> generally be a title in Latin or language-neutral (a name), or sometimes
> in German or English.

Chris this is not just about name but about About, Description and
Copyright description and any other free texts and Tom had been
specifically said "Description"

Look at the About of the WLC. To be able to have this text translated in
German , French, Finnish, Persian, whatever would do no harm to the
module integrity, would improve usability for non English speakers etc.
It does not even look to me that this is something which was taken from
any printed edition.

About=This text began as an electronic transcription by Whitaker and
Parunak of the 1983 printed edition of Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia
(BHS). The transcription is called the Michigan-Claremont electronic
text and was archived at the Oxford Text Archive (OTA) in 1987. Since
that time, the text has been modified to conform to the photo-facsimile
of the Leningrad Codex, Firkovich B19A, residing at the Russian National
Library, St. Petersberg; hence the change of name. This version contains
all 6 of the textual elements of the OTA document: consonants, vowels,
cantillation marks, "paragraph" (pe, samekh) markers, and ketiv-qere
variants. Morphological divisions have been added.\par\par The BHS
so-called "paragraph" markers (pe and samekh) do not actually occur in
the Leningrad Codex. The editors of BHS use them to indicate open space
deliberately left blank by the scribe. Pe ("open" paragraph) represents
a space between verses, where the new verse begins on a new column line.
This represents a major section of the text. Samekh ("closed" paragraph)
represents a space of less than a line between verses. This is
understood to be a subdivision of the corresponding "open" section.
Since these markers represent an actual physical feature of the text,
they have been retained.\par\par The WLC source is maintained by the
Westminster Hebrew Institute, Philadelphia, PA
(http://whi.wts.edu/WHI).\par\par The Sword module is maintained by
Martin Gruner (mg dot pub at gmx dot net). Please identify this as the
source of derived works.