[sword-devel] Adding abbreviated names to the module conf file (was Re: isalnum(3) for i18n)

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Wed Dec 17 11:57:25 MST 2008

Tom Cornell wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 3:04 AM, Chris Little <chrislit at crosswire.org> wrote:
>> My recommendation was actually that the default be the language of the
>> module (what I have referred to, perhaps somewhat confusingly, as the
>> localized name). In the absence of that, I recommended using the English.
>> For old (all existing) content, the fallback would be the current
>> combination of localized plus English that is found in most modules.
>
> What do you make of English language editions of Greek Bibles, where
> the module config file pretty much has to say "Lang=grc"?
>
> I personally would not want to see "Wetcott-Hort" or "Tischendorf"
> transliterated just to match the module language setting, nor (being
> serious for a minute) would I want to try to wade through a koine
> translation of the module description as laboriously as I wade through
> John, say, but I could easily imagine wanting the description to
> appear in whatever I had set my locale to, since presumably that
> represents a declaration to my computer that this is the language I am
> most comfortable with.

I covered this in another reply, but my position is essentially that all
works should have their real title (as it would be presented on a title
page of the printed edition). For the case of Greek Bibles, this will
generally be a title in Latin or language-neutral (a name), or sometimes
in German or English.

--Chris