[sword-devel] Adding abbreviated names to the module conf file (was Re: isalnum(3) for i18n)

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 17 07:22:00 MST 2008

Chris,

I would like to lobby for a separator between the language code and
the field name. I don't much care whether it is a prefix or suffix.
While I understand that you are suggesting that we don't have a deAbbr
or xxAbbr, I could see that it might be added some time in the future
and with 3-letter codes and with differences in script (e.g.
Traditional/Simplified Chinese), a separator makes it much easier to
code for today.

I like that the default should be in the language of the module. I'm
assuming as well in the encoding of the module (e.g. UTF-8 for UTF-8
modules).

WRT the length of Abbr, I'd like to see it be much shorter than 16 or
that 16 be the upper limit w/ a much smaller number being the
recommended maximum, say 6?, with the knowledge that anything longer
than 6 (or whatever is the recommended max) may be truncated by some
frontends (e.g. MacSword and BibleDesktop have dropdowns for a
parallel view which have a severe limit of 4. I imagine that small
devices, such as phones and PDAs would also have a real estate problem.)

In Him,
DM