[sword-devel] alternate verse ref syntax: `, ' in place of `:' or `.'

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 21 13:36:57 MST 2007

Just my opinion: I think that the reference that the user sees should
remain as is and the reference that is encoded in the ThML scripRef or
OSIS reference tag should be normalized to an osisRef.

The reason for my opinion:

The target audience of the Polish Bible are Polish readers for whom
the , is natural chapter/verse separator.

The reason for using osisRef is that ThML accepts them as an alternate
reference and because SWORD handles them well.

On another note:

In working on Vietnamese translation of BibleDesktop, we have found
that '-' is part of the book names of several Bible books as well as
other non-letters. I had already encountered the Chapter/Verse and
Verse/Verse separator problem in Farsi. This plays havoc with the
current Bible book name recognizer in JSword, and I imagine that of
Sword. I'm planning to overhaul JSword's recognizer in the near
future. I think it would also be reasonable to allow for alternate
Chapter/Verse, Verse/Verse and range separators on a per Locale basis.

In Him,
	DM