[sword-devel] alternate verse ref syntax: `, ' in place of `:' or `.'

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Thu Nov 22 04:54:42 MST 2007

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007, DM Smith wrote:
> In working on Vietnamese translation of BibleDesktop, we have found
> that '-' is part of the book names of several Bible books as well as
> other non-letters. I had already encountered the Chapter/Verse and
> Verse/Verse separator problem in Farsi. This plays havoc with the
> current Bible book name recognizer in JSword, and I imagine that of
> Sword. I'm planning to overhaul JSword's recognizer in the near
> future. I think it would also be reasonable to allow for alternate
> Chapter/Verse, Verse/Verse and range separators on a per Locale basis.

That has been noticed and discussed earlier:

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007, Hariyanto Handoko wrote:
> I try sword with bibletime 1.62 on ubuntu7.04, then I change languange
> indonesian.
> And there is bug in Judge (Hakim - hakim) , I only can see Hakim-hakim
1. .
> Sword doesn't support  sign -

I hope that if someone finds a good solution it will not be just
silently implemented somewhere but announced here also. The best
solution would be to do it somehow with the sword library, for example
by adding the data into locale file and querying it through the library
API. It could be something like:

    char* localeRangeSeparators()
    char* localeVerseSeparators()

which would give the legal separators as a string (each separator is
only one character, I believe).

The range separator is even more problematic because there is no good
alternative to -. Maybe it must be implemented in the parsing code so
that hakim-hakim1-hakim-hakim2 works right. This is almost impossible if
there are book names like x, y AND x-y but probably it's not a realistic
situation.

I added a note to
http://www.crosswire.org/wiki/index.php/DevTools:SWORD where the locale
file layout is explained.