[sword-devel] Thoughts on software used in Exegesis

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Mon Aug 13 02:35:10 MST 2007

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007, Paul Gear wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I've written a little blog entry on my experiences with Greek exegesis
> this year: http://gear.dyndns.org:81/journal/professional/20070813-exegesis
>
> I'd be interested in your comments & feedback.

Interesting issue. The "large audience" for that kind of program would
not be exegetes but Greek students. Technically all you wrote is
possible but practically we have limits:

First, we don't have good texts (modules) like Nestle/Aland. This is a
great problem for us with all our software. Second, we don't have
manpower to make the software. Someone should volunteer.

> I'd also be *really*
> interested in trying to turn this into something for my final year
> project in my M.Div - any tips on how to make Bible-related software
> development a viable topic in a theological degree?  ;-)

1. Find a theological faculty which teaches Greek (you already have
one).
2. Write a small and simple program which has the Greek text and lets
people parse the words as you suggested.
3. Take Greek students and let them do some learning (parsing,
vocabulary...) without and with your program.
4. Research the learning results.
5. Tell the world that your software was scientifically proven to be of
great help in learning Greek.

However, this is more proper for information sciences or behavioral
sciences than theology. It's up to your faculty if they accept this.
Hmm, I could use this myself...

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland