[sword-devel] Thoughts on software used in Exegesis

David Bell david.bell at bluebottle.com
Wed Aug 15 03:08:30 MST 2007

Greetings!

I started to fool with an idea a few months back but have had other
issues that have taken me away from my efforts with sword (open heart
surgery). Anyway, I realized a while back that if Sword can read thml
documents then it can really handle html. I discovered this by
leaving a live link to the internet in a module that I was working
on. When it came up in blue, I clicked it to see what would happen.
To my surprise, it loaded the web page. Why am I talking about all
this? Everything you are talking about has been done by a guy named
Zack Hubert on his website www.zhubert.com. He has the Greek text
completely parsed and linked up to various dictionaries. He even has
various English texts you can view along side of the Greek. One
simple way to get these features into Sword is to simply make a
module that loads this website. Obviously this would mean that the
user would have to be connected to the internet, but it adds a huge
amount of material and possibilities.

Now maybe someone out there knows a lot more about module authoring
and could find a way to integrate all this better. Or maybe someone
could get in touch with Mr. Hubert and see if his work could in
someway be converted into a normal module.

I hope these ideas will get the ball rolling for someone!

David Bell
david.bell at bluebottle.com